2/05/2007

Our Worlds False System

I don't care if I get comments or not, as long as you read this post.
It's something every individual needs to hear. I know I needed to hear it.
The following words are from a book called Searching for God Knows What-by Donnald Miller.


The following words point out one of the biggest mistakes that we make from day to day without even realizing it.

We are obsessed. We have to wear certain brands of clothing, drive a certain car, speak a certain way, be a certain size, whatever, all of it so you can be higher on invisible hierarchy. It's an obsession. Who told you there was anything wrong with you in the first place? Don't you know a human is just a human?

A child learns early there is a fashionable and an unfashionable in this world, an ugly and a pretty, a valued and a unvauled. Where this system comes from? Only God knows. It isn't something taught to us by parents; It is something that comes naturally, as though a radioactive kind of tragedy happened, screwing up our souls. Adulterated or policed, the system can grow to something more civilized, but no less dominant as a drive of nature. In youth the system is obvious. Just go see for yourself. If you want to learn the operating system of which humans are subjected, step into a classroom of any aged students and listen to the dialogue. You will hear the constant measurements, the talk about family wealth, who's father drives what car, who lives in what neighborhood, who is dating whom.

It's how our society works. Each individual stands in a line ranging from best to worst, coolest to most uncool, prettiest to ugliest, each human being placed in a different line depending on their value. Everyone is constantly looking to associate themselves with those higher in line, and dissociate from those of low position. Great lengths will be taken to associate with those at the front of the line.

The great crime, the great tragedy, is not the attempts to associate but rather the efforts to dissociate. If a person feels his space in the hierarchy is threatened, or that he might lose his position, the vehemence he feels towards the lesser person is nearly malevolent.

We automatically place a football player at the front of the line and a nerd at the back, when a computer nerd and a football player, are completely the same.

However, the false system remains.

We don't realize one person is just as beautiful and important as another. It feels important to climb the social ladder, it feels important to defend our identities, it feels as though we are saving our very lives by doing so. When we're actually losing the chance of saving others only to follow this false system or climb this broken ladder. By climbing the social ladder, by following this system and ignoring those bellow us or behind us, we're doing no good. We're only losing the opportunity of saving another when we push and shove to get ahead in the line of equals. It's a sick obsession that the world has created. It's horribly wrong, and I believe that if we accepted the people that actually need someone, we could save lives. Including our own.

Most of these words aren't even from my mouth.
I got them from one of my favorite authors, Donnald Miller.
But doesn't he describe very well how our society is?

I wish I could write down this whole chapter, because it's so amazing. It would take to long though. I just thought I should share this. It really spoke to me. It made me feel awful. But I needed it to make me feel awful. Reading his book made me realize I really do reject so many because I feel inside that I am to good for them. It is hard to say that I do so, but it's true. Everyone does it.

I hope to change. I want to save lives instead of falsely saving my own by climbing the broken ladder of false success.

The ones who need someone most are rejected most. Why? Because we feel we're to good for them. For crying out loud, we're equal to a murderer. How are we any different? I hate how as I'm writing this, I STILL somewhat see myself better than a murderer or nerd or whoever. It's not that I'm vain, because I'm really not. It's that this world has RUINED how we should be living and reacting with others. ESPECIALLY AS CHRISTIANS. I HATE how Christians act. They only hang out with their christian friends. We should be hanging out with prostitutes. At this very moment, you're probably wincing at the word prostitue because you see them as trash compared to you, when you're just as trashy as them. We all are. Infact, we're probably worse than them with living in this way. We should stop wasting our time on those who HAVE EVERYTHING. We should spend more time with those who have nothing.

Comment if this post really spoke to you. Know that I did not write anything but the italic words.

I now know I actually don't realize that we're all equal. I have said several times to people that I understand that bible verse.

But do any of us really live it out, or actually know it? I believe not.

Lora. Jayne at 10:52 PM

8comments

8 Comments

at Monday, February 05, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Donnald Miller.

He writes beautifully.
He explains our failures in such a different way that it makes us feel guilty and it encourages us to change.

I'm glad you posted this post. Reading it was good for me. It's something I needed to hear.

I agree with you when you said we should spend less time with people who have everything and more time with people who have nothing.

We really do stay inside our Christian realm or whatever you want to call it. We don't really reach outside verry often to those who don't even know God.

Lora, I believe you will impact the world greatly if you keep thinking this way. Know that you changing yourself will affect so many others.

I love you.

Read your emails.

 
at Monday, February 05, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Donnald Miller.

He writes beautifully.
He explains our failures in such a different way that it makes us feel guilty and it encourages us to change.

I'm glad you posted this post. Reading it was good for me. It's something I needed to hear.

I agree with you when you said we should spend less time with people who have everything and more time with people who have nothing.

We really do stay inside our Christian realm or whatever you want to call it. We don't really reach outside verry often to those who don't even know God.

Lora, I believe you will impact the world greatly if you keep thinking this way. Know that you changing yourself will affect so many others.

I love you.

Read your emails.

 
at Monday, February 05, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love every word. Sometimes... well yeah.. people don't understand my driving passion in life. To accept everyone. I can come across as liberal (the last thing I know how to be). Stupid (well yeah I am most of the time). Naive and so much more.. but the thing is.. I just want to love everyone. I mean I know so well that I put so many people below who I am, and it makes me want to scream... who am I? To do this.

`Shandi

 
at Wednesday, February 07, 2007 Blogger Lora. Jayne said...

Hey Shandi,

I love the honesty you left within your previous comment.

I believe i'm down there with you. At least you have a passion for loving everyone. The problem is, we still see ourselves as higher then certain people which makes us love ourselves more. You know what I mean?

Who are any of us to do this. I have no idea.

I think it's silly how we're always treating those who are actually equal as if they're lower than us.

I have a passion as well to love anyone and everyone. However, I also am human, and I've realized that I actually don't love anyone and everyone. I pick and chose those that i really want to love. Mest up people or poor people or murderers are those I see as lower than myself, I ignore them and don't care for them when I should be loving them just as I love those I choose to love.

Does this all make sense?

Know you're not alone, i'm down here with you, along with everyone else.

I guess we can only change ourselves. Because others aren't going anywhere. They'll probably continue on hanging out with those they're comfortable with, they'll probably continue on hanging out with those they feel they're good enough for. While missing the chance of saving lives that are completely lost unlike the lives of the people we're almost always with.

Thanks again for the comment Shandi! I love your honesty. I love people who can be honest about their mistakes/weaknessess, etc..

 
at Thursday, February 08, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sort of known for my ability to be completely honest and open about my life. I don't see the poing in hiding things. I mean it's so retarded to hide my pain, my mistakes and so on. I am a Christian, and I struggle like anyone else. The biggest compliment I have ever gotten was from this girl who told me "you don't act like a Christian" I wanted to hug her. Some of my freinds are the kind of people everyone in the Christian community despises. And I love them all the same. I am risky, on the edge.. I love to reach out. I am as messed up as anyone. But I thank God that I have grown up so very very differently. I have learned to embrace in many ways others haven't because I had no choice. Perhaps one day I shall tell you in detail. I'm not bragging. God knows how selfish and stupid I can be. I have just been given a gift.. one that I don't want to hide. For to hide that gift is to look God in the face and tell Him I don't care.

shandi

 
at Friday, February 09, 2007 Blogger Lora. Jayne said...

Hey Shandi,

I know what you mean. It is retarded to hide pain and insecurities. That's why I HAVE this blog. Is to share them. In hopes that it will show any individual that we're all the same, we all have problems, even those who seem perfect are really just as mest up.

It's definately not an ability I have because it's always difficult to share things. But it's definately something I try and always do even if I don't want too.

I know you're not bragging. And it's really okay to talk about a gift that God has given to you. That doesn't mean your bragging. That just means your thankful. And that's great. Because everyone needs to find confidence about at least one thing within themselves. God didn't give as gifts to be wasted. He gave them to us so we can discover them and grow within them. I know what you mean.

Well, I gotta go, I think you're awesome Shandi. I also think we're a lot a like and have tons in common. I think it's cool how you share some of the exact same interests for life as I do.

 
at Friday, February 09, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

In reply to ths post above;

You're not pathetic. You're not a awful friend. Anytime you run, I don't start thinking, "Oh my goodness, she must hate me or she must just be running away because she doesn't like me."

It's more of, "Wow, poor girl. All she's ever known is to be broken by others, so all she's ever known is to run away no matter how wonderful and trustworthy her friend is."

Lora, i'm going to say it straight out. This fear isn't going to be gone anytime soon. You're just now getting through the toughest parts of it. However, have hope. Sense your stuck in the toughest parts, and as long as you're working through the toughest parts, it's just a matter of time before the difficult parts will become easy.

Everything is difficult before It becomes easy. Weither it's facing fears, living life, trusting in God, whatever the case. And the difficult parts can always rise back up right after we've finally got ahold of things.

You HAVE to take risks in your friendships Lora. Otherwise this fear will DESTROY you.

Answer this: What would be worse. Becoming so lost within the fear that you are never able to have a friend ever again? OR Taking a risk even if you might get hurt. But in result gaining a friend or maybee losing one.

I see a lot of friends in your life right now who are willing to love you and accept you...

Now, it's just a matter of you accepting them. Otherwise they won't be able to help you. You have to help yourself before they can help you.

I love you.

 
at Monday, February 12, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lora this is going to be random and come out of nowhere. But you are beautiful. Stunning. Lovely. Precious. Amazing. Your heart is young and pure. Read these not just as words but as truths.

`Shandi

 

Post a Comment